Homework…. Nooooo, I hear everybody cry! Don’t worry this homework is going to be climbing challenges and activities you can do at home with minimal equipment. We will be trying to stay in touch with you guys as well, either via email, social media (if you use Instagram then tag @Redpointbristol) and hopefully some Zoom or Skype meetings!
We want all our Rock Monkeys to stay active and keep practicing climbing related skills during lock down so we have devised some weekly challenges and exercises for you to do at home. As well as that we have a list of some climbing films for our Rock Monkeys to watch to keep that psych for climbing going strong!
The homework is split between the different NICAS levels but we think everybody should try all of the challenges if you have time!
- Ask parents permission first;
- Stay safe and don’t try anything dangerous;
- Have FUN.
This Weeks Video
Rock Monkey Level 1 & 2
Rock Monkey Level 3
Rock Monkey Level 4
Exercises To Do At Home
Here are some guides for some exercises you can do at home.
First work out the right form for the exercise. It doesn’t matter if you can’t complete the exercise yet just focus on your form. Ask a Parent to watch you and check you are doing everything properly.
Next work out what level of the exercise you can complete. Once you can do the required amount of reps without losing form you are ready to move onto the next level.
Finally you don’t want to get any injuries or hurt yourself so if anything hurts, stop. Please do not do anything silly or dangerous.
Parents – Please note! Climbers are human and are trying really really hard in most of these films. This means they sometimes use bad language or say things which might not be appropriate for children. We have checked these films as much as possible for content but there will be some films which might not be suitable, please check the films before allowing your child to view them.
Check these out
- Silence – What does it take to climb the world’s first 9c? Watch Adam Ondra climb the worlds hardest route.
- Dreamcatcher – Chris Sharma on the first ascent on of the famous line which is graded at 9a.
- Grit Kids – Pete and Katy Whittaker, who are now adult professional climbers, get interested in climbing as kids.
- The World’s Best Belayer – A silly film about belaying from Petzl.
- La Dura Dura – Chris Sharma & Adam Ondra working, at the time, the hardest climb in the world. – Level 4’s check out the way each climber clips the quickdraws!
- The Classics – Midnight Lightning – Ron Kauk (A legend in Yosemite climbing tells the story of the first ascent of the classic boulder problem.
- The Circuit – Nalle Hukkataival sets himself a challenge to climb the black circuit in Fontainebleau, France.
- Tsūrisuto – London based strongman Louis Parkinson heads to Japan and finds out Japanese climbers are all really good!
- Young Guns – Part 1 & Part 2 – Two of climbing ‘Young Guns’, Ashima Shiraishi and Kai Lightner push their boundaries to try and become the best.
- Careless Torque – Mina Leslie Wujastyk with the first female ascent of a super scary boulder problem!